Foxamp is an extension for Mozilla Firefox that allows you to control Winamp through six small buttons in the status bar. You can play, pause and stop, navigate between tracks, change volume, and see what's playing, all without leaving your browser. Foxamp was originally created by Sven Andersson ("sweetfish"), and has been maintained by me since 2005.
Foxamp requires Firefox 4.0 or higher running on Windows. Winamp 2.x or 5.x is also required (Foxamp does not support Winamp 3.x).
Tips and Tricks
The Open/Jump to File window does not currently come to the front of the screen. If you want it to pop up in front of Firefox, you must set Winamp to be always on top. To do this, switch to Winamp and press Ctrl+A once. You can then minimise Winamp, or use the Show/Hide option in Foxamp, and when you press the Open button, the window should appear on top.
- Foxamp now interfaces directly with the Win32 API and doesn't require a helper DLL.
- Extension no longer require unpacking.
- Foxamp now supports 64-bit versions of Firefox again.
- Fix bug where Foxamp would be broken if Autostart Winamp was enabled and no path had been entered.
- Check if Winamp is already running before trying to start it.
- Foxamp no longer uses Winamp Control Centre directly. Now uses a DLL, for improved performance.
- Hopefully fixed bug where song ticker would stop updating
- Foxamp now requires Firefox 4 or later, and has been tested with Firefox versions up to version 19
- Firefox 7.x - 9.x compatibility
- Firefox 6.x compatibility
- Unicode support in helper application - song titles in non-Windows-1252 character sets should now work properly
- Foxamp now requires Firefox 1.5 or later, and will not work under Windows 95/98/Me
- Firefox 5.x compatibility
- Firefox 4.0.x compatibility
- Firefox 3.6.x compatibility
- Fix issue whereby "unable to start Winamp" could appear every 5 seconds if Winamp was not running
- Firefox 3.5.x compatibility
- Integrate Winamp Control Centre into helper application
- Minor UI updates
- Firefox 3.0.x compatibility
- Replace helper application with a new, faster C application
- Playlist number and Winamp application title no longer shown in song title
- Firefox 2.0.x compatibility
- New in version 0.3.6 is Firefox 1.5 compatibility. Note that this is based on version 0.3.5, which was the latest development version of Foxamp. The latest officially released version was version 0.2.8 - there have been several updates since that version, including the songticker.
In the future, I hope to improve Foxamp with any suggestions I receive from users. If there's anything you'd like to see in Foxamp, please contact me.
Download and Install
Clicking the download link below should trigger the installation routine if you are using Firefox. (You may have to add www.owenrudge.net to your trusted installation sites list.) Alternatively, you can right-click the link and save it to disk, and then drag that onto Firefox.
Download Foxamp 0.4.2 (24KB)
You can also view or install the add-on on the Mozilla Firefox Add-ons site. Feel free to leave a comment or review there, too!
Foxamp should work with the latest version of Firefox (as of the time of writing, that's Firefox 21), since Mozilla stopped breaking extensions on every new version of Firefox. As such, I won't be updating the download here until something actually breaks in the add-on. You should always be able to get the latest version from the Mozilla add-ons site.
If you're still using Firefox 1.5 - 3.6, the latest version of Foxamp that will work for is version 0.3.15, available here:
Download Foxamp 0.3.15 (46.8KB)
If you happen to be using a version of Firefox between 0.9 and 1.5, or are using Windows 95/98/Me, the latest version to support these versions of Firefox is version 0.3.13:Download Foxamp 0.3.13 (46.4KB)
If you have any comments, queries or problems, please let me know!